Sunday, June 26, 2011

A whole bunch of stuff...

We saw the Broadway play "Wicked" on Friday night. We went downtown with the Plymouth Crescent crowd and had a great meal at the Snow Garden Restaurant (Richards and W.Pender). I love it when you say "we have 12 people - please bring us food". They bring you stuff you never would have ordered yourself, and all of this food was fantastic. After dinner, we walked over to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre for "Wicked". By today's standards, it's quite a long play - the first act is about 1.5 hours! I found the premise of the story was really interesting, but found the ending just a little bit too wholesome. Then Laura told me that the book is far more depressing, and does not have a happy ending. I don't like it when they change a story based on audience feedback. I don't think Shakespeare ever asked for audience feedback, and some of the best, most provocative theatre out there doesn't necessarily have a happy ending. After this event, I've come to the conclusion that small venues (community-sized) for both music and theatre is what I like. These mega-productions are more often about the spectacle, and less about the content. Give me a half-baked Gordon Lightfoot on stage with a guitar and an attitude.

We head to Toronto this Wednesday for eight days, primarily for a wedding, but just as important to catch up with old friends (Brian and Jaccee) and Laura's cousin (Nicole). I have to admit that, as much as I'm no fan of Toronto (big American city that happens to be in Canada), I do want to see the people. And giving Laura a good opportunity to see the city is a great thing. Brian and Jaccee are taking us down to Niagara-On-The-Lake for a tour and a play as well. Should be fun!

On to the sleep thing. It seems I'm always writing about this! I've read three additional books (in addition to the one's I've already read), and may be narrowing in on some consensus. I think a big part of my problem is now my sub-conscious has determined "my bed = no sleep". That's why I sleep better elsewhere (boat, RV). There seems to now be a common, agreed upon reset - stay up as late as you can (1-2am), and get up early (6:45am) for several days in a row. Kind of a brute force method of resetting your internal sleep mechanisms. One of these latest books also includes a hypnosis CD to listen to as you fall off... I'm sure you'll here from me how it's going.

If you saw my Picasa photos from the sailing trip, you'll have noticed my current obsession with floating homes. I have to convince Laura that, when we get back from sailing with Dave and Sherri (catamaran on July 14), we have to get over to the island and see the homes in Maple Bay. If I take the practicality of tiny homes, and teach them to float, it seems to me a perfect combination. Unfortunately, I've been unable to find anyone that builds float homes, and there seems to be quite a few regulations around them. Oh well, if there's something I have lots of - it's free time!

2 comments:

Doug said...

Laura said something profound. Unlike Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, Evita, etc., how many want to bet that Wicked runs for a year or so, and then disappears into the dustbin of forgettable plays?

Matt said...

I'm not so sure. We saw Wicked in New York back in October and previous to that Jane had seen it a few years ago in New York. It still seems to be selling out and has been around for a few years now. I'm not sure it'll ever match the greatness of say Phantom or Les Miserables, but I think it'll stick around.