Friday, July 8, 2011

Is it closer to Toronto or by bus?

We just got back yesterday from an eight-day adventure in Toronto. Laura has never been there, and I have never been there for more than a few days at a time. I sarcastically remark to anyone who'll listen - especially those that live there - that to me Toronto is a big American city, that happens to be in Canada. Our friend Jaccee reminded me that, unlike an American city, the ethnic neighborhoods in Toronto have their own, very distinct, non-assimilated culture. We tend to embrace multiculturalism, while our southern neighbors like it best when you are "one with the Borg". It's pretty safe to say that in our larger cities (I'm thinking Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) you could quite easily live your entire life and not speak a word of English or French.

We were there for a wedding - the son of good friends (divorced, but with new partners and civilized towards each other). Amber, the bride, was of the new, empowered breed of young married people. The wedding was in a brew-pub, there were only two very short speeches, and she refused to feed her new husband a piece of wedding cake - for fear it would turn into a food fight. I found it quite refreshing. I was a tad under-dressed, there being only three men at the whole event (of about 65 people) without suit and tie - but I'm sure I'll get over it. I plan on starting a trend of wearing casual clothes to every possible event.


After the wedding, Laura and I spent several days exploring Toronto - including a Blue Jays game in a very sunny and hot Rogers Stadium. Good friends that had moved there 17 years ago - from Calgary - put us up at their place for three nights. Not only did Brian and Jaccee arrange a wonderful dinner with other mutual friends, Jaccee took Laura for tea at a fancy hotel in York and drove us to Niagara on the Lake, Iniskillin Winery, and Niagara Falls. I told them if they ever come to Vancouver I can show them all the highlights of Port Coquitlam - like where the local serial killer lived and where Terry Fox is buried.

In all, it was a nice break, and it was nice to have Laura experience for herself the city I have loathed all these years - deserved or not.

Photos are on Picasa.

No comments: