Sunday, February 13, 2011

I Think I Have An Infection...

Laura and I braved the cold and the rain, and went to the Vancouver Boat Show yesterday (Saturday). We spent some time at the on-the-water show across from Granville Island (under the Granville Street bridge), and then took the shuttle down to the Trade and Convention Center for the indoors part of the show.

Benateau Oceanis 50
Laura was quite attracted to the Benateau Oceanis 50, which is a floating Yaletown condo, but I'm not so sure it's really a bluewater boat (which is what I'd like). Oh, and it's also $450,000 more than I have. When we first learned to sail, our captain (Davis) called Beneteau's "Bend-In-Twos". That's stuck with the both of us, and I note that they're not listed in John Neal's extensive list of real bluewater sailoats.

Tayana 37 Pilothouse
We also saw a broker ad for a Tayana 37 Pilothouse at the show. The boat is over in Victoria, but I think that the overall size of the craft would make it harder for one person to single hand - it has electric winches because of the large sail area - so if the electricity ever fails (always at the wrong possible moment), you're screwed. These boats aren't listed in John Neal's list either, but there's an extensive organization that talks about the Tayana's as the very best of breed.

Pacific Seacraft(PS) 31
At the end of the day, what I'd  really like is a small, well proven cruising boat that comes recommended by almost everybody (including Neal). One that you can resell when you're done for most of what you paid for it. And doesn't need any modifications. And that doesn't need any repairs (both of our previous boats needed repairs and modifications, as well as losing money). For years and years, I keep coming back to two Pacific Seacraft boats - the Dana 24 and the PS-31. Note the small size. Less to go wrong, less to bottom paint. Less to moor. There's a man in France (Benji) who's living on his Dana - has crossed the Atlantic a few times, done the canals of Europe, and sailed the Med. Sounds good to me.







No comments: