Sunday, January 16, 2011

Long day .... Vancouver to Miami

Yesterday, we spent the day traveling from Vancouver to Miami via Toronto. The flight from Toronto to Miami was about two hours late, so total transit time was (leaving the Sheraton in Richmond to arriving at the Miami Marriott, Vancouver time) 6am to 7:30pm - about 12.5 hours. I guess the delay in Toronto was business as usual (Air Canada -so unavoidable), but waiting for a bus to take us to the hotel from the Miami Airport was something I probably wouldn't do - the "old me" would have just taken a cab and be done with it. Free WiFi was available at both the Vancouver and Toronto Airports, but once we got to Miami the charges started. No free WiFi at the Miami Airport, and the Marriott hotel here wants $14.95 a day for access. Today, with the ubiquitousness of the Internet, that is gouging. I've searched around the hotel property for something free, but no luck.. That's my rant of the day - WiFi should be provided free everywhere. It costs almost nothing, and can provide a public good. Soon, we'l be enroute to the cruise ship - where I expect they'll gouge again for access (guess - I could guarantee!).

--
Doug's Blog