Thursday, January 27, 2011

Cabo

Yesterday was at sea, so nothing much to report, other than the weather has turned cooler (18C) and the wind has picked up - long sleeve time.

Cabo San Lucas has changed since I was last here in late 2006. The street hawkers are being kept to the very sides of the sidewalk (by the police), so they can't get in your face ... although they can still yell at you. Again, they don't seem to bother with me ... in all of Mexico it's been the same. Maybe it's because I'm single and without a waist-belt-pouch-thingy or have a camera slung over my shoulder.The entire waterfront looks new since 2006, and the development must have been driven by the three cruise ships here today (and every other day I assume). I would guess today, there are 6000 of us landing in Cabo, mostly to shop. It's still hard to understand why Cabo has no cruise dock, while small towns like Huatalco do.

Cabo is still all about shopping. You could take a tour, but we have very limited time here (all aboard by 1:30pm, and the tenders started up about 8am). "Diamonds International" seems to have created an industry from the cruise ship trade. they are very unapologetic about talking them up on board. . I admit I did walk through one to try to get something for Laura, but the high priced stuff in the display cases, plus the calculators everywhere to show you what your "special price after awesome discount" kind of turns me off. Laura will have to settle for something a bit more practical than Cabo jewelry.

I want to sail here, and stay in the Sea of Cortez for a season. Then sail south to Panama, take the canal to the Atlantic, and then another season in the Carribean. Then maybe on to the Med. You only live once, yes?