Saturday, December 16, 2006

Doug's Christmas 2006 Blog


There are many people receiving this message that will be relieved that 2006 is almost over. Her Majesty (that’d be The Queen, not Oprah) said some ten years ago that this has truly been “Annis Horribilis”. I’d like to add “It’s darkest just before it goes completely black”, and “Inside every silver lining there’s a dark cloud”. There were moments when our year was looking that way as well – but things are going much better now, and 2007 will mark a new beginning for many of us. (How cliché)

Everybody that’s receiving this letter has likely been kept up to date with all that’s happened this year through my email messages. So, for a change, I’m going to let Laura, Kathryn and David fill in the blanks.

I would like to say – before I give them their turn – that I’ve come to some hard-won realizations this year. Next to your health, family and friends are the most important things you have. Stuff is just that – stuff. It’s amazing how well you can get along without very much stuff (like how little you can stuff into a 25’ trailer).

Also, Laura and I must truly be meant for each other – we’ve spent most every hour of the last six months together, and I don’t have any stitches.

Also, we miss the kids, and we believe they miss our money. Maybe us they miss us too.

Anyways, please have a wonderful Christmas – enjoy your friends and your families, ignore the stuff, and if you can breathe deep – breathe!!

Platonically (or maybe not) …. Doug

PS: Many of the photos we've taken over the last few months are here.

PPS: Although I say that Christmas is not about stuff, there is some stuff I’d like … I’d like peace in the Middle East, I’d like GM to bring back the electric car, I’d like heavy taxation of the petrochemical industry, I’d like a cure for diabetes, AIDS, heart disease, cancer and malaria, and I’d like an offshore sailboat that Laura will live on…

PPPS: Please make sure you check out the blogs from Dave, Kath, Laura and Bo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug,
From my family to yours! Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Look forward to talking to you in the new Year and reading more of your adventures on your blog... Bill Gryba

Anonymous said...

I thought I'd post a comment, mostly 'cause with only one other comment, I was feeling sorry for you. Mic

PS. Since you've gotten all altruistic, can I have your stuff?