Saturday, December 16, 2006

Laura's Christmas 2006 Blog


In January of 2006, I never expected that I would be rock climbing at Joshua Tree National Park in December. But it has been a year where too many unbelievable things have happened to our family.

But in the end, as this year finally comes to a close, I feel grateful. Grateful that Doug is well on the road to being back to his old competitive, hockey playing self. Grateful for my kids who were troopers through all the tough days this year and are growing into amazing young adults. Grateful for our extended family and amazing friends who cooked for us, packed up our house, gave us a place to stay, made me laugh, and most importantly, were there when I needed a shoulder to lean on.

There are some details I would like to add about our trip:

We spent the first night of our trip in beautiful Lake Tapps Washington, at the home of Don and Wendy Swanson. (Doug reported that our trip started on the Oregon Coast).

Do you know that only approximately 5% of all people go below the rim of the Grand Canyon and less than 1% hike to the bottom?

In Death Valley, the main well in the middle of the valley kept getting covered over with sand, so they used stove pipe to mark the well for travelers. Stove Pipe Wells is where I spent my 46th birthday. It was pretty cool. We had dinner at Furnace Creek Inn which was built in the ‘30’s and has been lovingly cared for ever since. It is an oasis in the desert.

I haven’t brought out the knives or scissors yet, but I have looked seriously at the cast iron fry pan a few times when I have been angry at Doug. Seriously though, for all the togetherness, there have been few angry words. I am looking forward to hanging out with all my girls when I get home- I miss you lots.

Finally, I have seen some amazing things and had some wonderful experiences over the last 4 months but in keeping with the Wizard of Oz theme, “There’s No Place like Home”.

I wish you Peace and Joy this Holiday Season.

Laura
xoxo

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Just want to wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. 2006 is almost over and 2007 looks to be a much better year! Keep smiling - miss that smile. Call me when you get "home" and we will have some sushi..... ;o)
Best of the season and enjoy each other!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura! Wendy and I have now decided we like you much better than Doug because you mentioned Lake Tapps in your Blog. You are very welcome to stop here on the way back North - we'll leave Doug out on the street in the Airstream :-)

Just kidding - hope you guys have a very happy holiday and enjoyable New Year. See you when you next pass through!

Don & Wendy

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic cool picture! What I can't figure out is how Doug was able to snap the picture after falling down all those rocks. Mic