Saturday, December 16, 2006

Dave's Christmas 2006 Blog


"It feels like just yesterday that the flickering lights of Jack O' Lanterns dotted my block, and now it’s Christmas". That’s how I started my section of the Christmas letter LAST time, which explains why my dad has refused to let me write one for the past 4 years, but I’m back, and more flamboyant than ever.

On the topic of flamboyancy, I decided to make the switch from the University of Victoria to a pure art school, Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design (on Granville Island in Vancouver). I figured at UVic they could teach you to drink like Jackson Pollock, but not paint like him. I’m having an alright time at Emily Carr (it's very tough), and I still keep in touch with friends from Victoria.

As you may or may not know, my parents skipped town about three months ago, and sold my childhood house away. When they come back I am going to make amends by living with them until I make it as an artist (about 55). My current accommodations are a bit shady; I live in a Polish family's basement suite in Kerrisdale with my sister. Our floor slopes into a corner, and we can hear our landlords argue over money through the heating vents – it’s juicier than Desperate Housewives – or so I’m told.

In addition to living in a dingy basement suite, having a 3 zone bus pass, and going to Art school, I also work at...Starbucks. People have told me this company is a cult and I can tell you that it’s all lies spread by Tim Horton’s and Folgers. Starbucks is seeking to become the world’s finest purveyor of coffee, while connecting with its customers in a meaningful way everyday. Come on in and try our new Holiday Favorites, the Peppermint Mocha, Gingerbread Latte, and the Eggnog Latte. Make it a Venti for under $6.00. Wow! What a deal!

On a less sarcastic note, I think this year has been a real challenge for me and my family. As the tin man said as he entered the dark forest in the Wizard of Oz, "It’s going to get a lot darker before it gets brighter again". I think it’s starting to get lighter, and I am looking forward to leaving the dark forest of 2006 - let’s just hope those evil flying monkeys don’t follow us into 2007.

Merry Christmas! … Dave

No comments: