Friday, March 8, 2024

And I'm Done?

It's Friday, March 8th, and I was released from the hospital this morning.

We arrived at Royal Columbian Hospital at 6:30am on Thursday, February 29 - surgery was slated for 8:45am. I was wheeled into the OR at 8:44am (I asked what time it was because I'm that kind of a guy). 

It took about 20 minutes up front to have the anaesthetist install an epidural. He told me as he's trying to jab something between L2 /L3  (or was it T3 /T4) that I have minor scoliosis. Who knew (certainly not me)? Anyways, lights out about 9:15am on Thursday. 

(The reason they give the epidural is to ensure that the entire mid-section of your body stays completely anaesthetised during the surgery. Apparently it's very simple and reliable. It also prevents the screaming when you wake up mid-procedure.)

I wasn't there when it happened, but Dr. Wong called Laura about 12:20pm and said he was done, and happy with the results. So a little over 3 hours. 

Although the hospital was super busy, the care and attention I got was outstanding. I left with a bag full of supplies, a couple of prescriptions, a handful of to-do's, and some Halloween candy. 

I look pretty good, and it only hurts when I blink. 

We will have pathology back on the bladder, prostate, lymph nodes and seminal vessels (all the stuff they removed) in another week. I'll write another update then, with the plan moving forward (surveillance, more treatment, buying a round-the-world cruise on a credit card).

Home and feeling good...


No comments: