Sunday, March 17, 2024

Normalizing

This might seem a bit weird, but of the many things that have happened in the last couple of weeks, my new stoma and urostomy pouch system have been the least concerning of it all.

I've now had three home visits with nurses at Fraser Health (our Health district). All were excellent, all watched me do a complete "bag change" and all offered some tips to make it quicker and more secure.

It really is simply a different way of doing things, and I can see myself comfortable with it in a few weeks.

I no longer have to get up and go pee at night.

What's caused more consternation is the pain/itching of the axe wound I have below my navel. It's not so bad sitting still, but rubs and itches when I walk, and it's really hard to find a comfortable position when I sleep. It's also awkward when I MMA fight.

I neglected to fill the prescription for Tylenol-3's they gave me when released from the hospital - because I'm a man and can suck it up.  Wrong.

The other irritation I have is injecting myself with Lovenox every night until March 29. I know, I know, diabetics have to do this every day, but it still sucks! (Lovenox is a derivative of heparin, a blood anticoagulant.)

I'm walking more and more each day, and can feel the energy starting to come back. I'm driving again (doc said that the only concern he had was opioids and narcotics - as soon as I was strong enough and off the drugs I'm good to go), and I can put my shoes and socks on myself. I'm a big boy!

So onward and upward. Gotta get strong to start the next phase - I think it will be Nivolumab. We'll know more April 8 (meeting with Dr. Noonan at BC Cancer).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're making great progress! 👍