Friday, January 20, 2012

Some Sad News

Laura got home from Harrison Hotsprings today, after spending the week managing the ECE (Early Childhood Eduction) program for the Canadian Labor Congress.

She met a lady there that turned out to be friends with one of my early-days physiotherapists - Sandra. Sandra handled my physio case for the first couple of weeks in the big house, until I had a relapse and spent some extra time on the 2nd floor of Eagle Ridge Hospital.

When I came back down to the rehab wing, I was fortunate enough to have Ruth - the most senior person there, and the one with the most experience rehabilitating stroke victims. I remember her saying to me "if you stay in the wheelchair a bit longer than most, I'll get you straight from there to walking - no cane, no walker". She did what she said, and I used a cane for a total of about 10 minutes during my entire adventure.

We knew that she had gotten sick sometime shortly after I was released, but heard nothing afterwards.

Laura found out this week that Ruth died of cancer.

Ruth and Me - showing me how to do stairs again

No comments: