Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

Karen Laura, Rob, Me

In the spirit of looking forward to a new year, and being optimistic about it (which is not entirely my nature), I thought I'd share an article I saw this morning from "Nation of Change". It's US-focused, but whatever happens south of us, effects us. Best to know what's going on. The article is here.


As for resolutions, which I normally don't like to make (and then break), I do have a couple I hope I can stick with this year:

  • Re-learn how to swim (a couple of years ago, I could swim really well).
  • Cut down on sugar by 2/3. That includes sugar in  my coffee, and (mostly) desserts.
  • Get my sleep issues completely figured out. Note that Zeo has picked me up as their "featured blogger" for January for my BuildBetterSleep blog. 
Last year (2011) I resolved that, if I could just walk an extra 200m a month, I could extend my walking range to 8km or so. Unfortunately, I found out that working towards something doesn't mean it's going to happen. I seem to be stuck at about the 5km mark - and that really is just fine with me. I also thought I'd re-learn how to run last summer. Same thing. Can't get past the physical part of it - as much as I wish it, it ain't gonna happen. Good thing I'm now a 50-something year old - there's not too many of us that run anyway. It would be a real bummer to be 12 and unable to run!

I really think that the talking continues to improve at a very slow rate. There are moments when I'm on a roll, and it sounds like "the old Doug" is speaking. I've said to myself, that in five years (2 down, 3 to go), you won't notice any difference.

Now it's time to tackle swimming! I get to try out skiing again next week ... I hope that goes OK.


Happy New Year everyone!

No comments: