Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Skiing and the stroke

I'm up here at SilverStar Mountain for the week, skiing with the same folks I've been doing this with for the past twenty years or so (minus the last five). I was hoping that all the bike riding would be a good indicator of how well I'd ski - I even thought it may be "no big deal" and it would be completely normal.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, it's like learning to ski all over again - just that the learning curve is a bit shorter. After about four hours total on the boards, I'm able to link turns and ski the Green Runs pretty easily. I get "nervous" when it gets too steep (or I've been skiing for more than about an hour) and seem to forget how to link turns and tend to ski across the mountain (like a beginner) versus down the mountain. This is all tied to how tired my right leg gets - it runs out of steam after an hour - I think by being unconsciously tense the whole time.

I think the only cure for this is time on the skis, but time on the skis is limited to the time my leg holds up. Kind of a Catch-22. Oh well, the weather is wonderful and the company is great. The fact that I can stand on a mountain is a bonus...

No comments: