Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Going to Sydney on a ship was a lengthy process. Sixteen sea-days and six time zones (plus crossing the International Date Line which was actually pretty uneventful - go to bed on Friday night, and wake up on Sunday morning).

Getting home from Australia was a short matter of a fourteen hour flight. But I'm sure the jet-lag will make it a multiple day affair to recoup (although right now I feel pretty good - even slept through the night until 6:30am).

Home is much, much cooler than where we came from - we're entering fall while Oz is well into spring - and spring in Sydney means 30C.

Now that I've had a taste of "down under", I will have to re-evaluate the places I want to go in the next few years. Europe is always attractive, but sometimes I'm convinced that the tourists outnumber the locals. South America really sounds interesting, but maybe it's a bit too "rustic" for me right now.

Oz is probably a place I want to go back to, and spend some significant time. Outside the cities. Circumnavigate the country in a "caravan". You can get a six month tourist visa really easy. Wanna come?

No comments: