Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Smaller is better...

I can't believe I'm saying this ... "I brought too much stuff with me". Although I did this 40-day trip with a 25l backpack, and Laura tires of seeing me in the same clothes, I brought stuff I could do without:

  • I only need one pair of pants - I have a pair of zip-off's that do nicely. they even look presentable.
  • I need one pair of shorts. For when I'm not wearing the pants.
  • I need a pair of swim-trunks. These also double as pajamas.
  • I need a pair of good looking sandals that look presentable in a dining room, but you can also wear to the beach. Boat shoes might works well too.
  • I would leave the socks at home.
  • I would leave the second pair of shoes at home. They take up too much room in the pack.
  • I need a waterproof jacket that comes down far enough to cover the wallet in my pants/shorts.
  • I'd add a small, compressible, light backpack for running around town - put the camera, passports, and jacket in it (like those shopping bags you can carry on your keychain, only with some shoulder straps).

My biggest problem, I know, is the amount of tech I carry with me - it takes up almost half the bag. One laptop with power adapter. One Kindle. One iTouch. One camera. The shaving kit takes up some room too, but it's hard to imagine ever trimming that down more than has already happened. Next time....

No comments: