Saturday, August 11, 2012

Cold Turkey

I wrote a post yesterday for my other blog, BuildBetterSleep, where I talked about what health really is, and how to attain it.

The crux of the argument is, barring something serious like cancer, good health can be achieved by following some very simple rules:

  1. Make room in your schedule for sufficient sleep every night. 7-9 hours is what most of us need. 
  2. Get some sunlight (not too much, but not too little) every day. Let your body manufacture the Vitamin D you need.
  3. Eat well. Nothing out of a box. Best if it was living and breathing a short time ago, or it was pulled out of the ground or off a tree or bush.
  4. Exercise every day. Take a bike ride. Take a long walk. Take the stairs.

I truly believe that's all there is to it.

I've been trying to "fix what's wrong" or "find a shortcut" to good health for over a decade. I now think the "secret" has been there all along. Rest, Get Outdoors, Eat Well, and Exercise.

As of today, I'm going to throw out all the vitamins and supplements I've been taking (with the exception of an 82mg aspirin every day).

No more Niacin. No more Fish Oil. No more Resveratrol. No more Vitamin D. Just food, sleep and exercise outdoors.

1 comment:

Wyn Nathan Davis said...

Good post! I think a key thing you might also consider is 'natural' food as close to its natural/raw state as possible. many food have calories but have all of the nutrient value removed by over processing. Whole fruit, grain breads, oatmeal, nuts!