Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Here's The Problem With Our Diet

Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics. Credit: Lam Thuy Vo / NPR
I happened upon this article from Mother Jones, called "The American Diet in 1 Chart".

The article goes on to talk about the chart, but I don't think it needs any explanation.

If you're searching for a cause of obesity (and the consequential Type II Diabetes, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, and a host of other problems) look no further. Taking processed foods out of your diet (especially sugar) solves almost the entire problem.

On another note, I had a visit with my doctor yesterday, and we discussed the lab results from a few months ago - I had to get a requisition for new lab work to see how things are progressing.

He was quite pleased - my risk ratio is now lower than he has ever recorded for me. When I asked "what's the typical HDL level for someone with no cardiovascular disease" he said about 1.2 in his practice.

My HDL is now 1.8.

HDL and Triglycerides are the best predictors we've got for heart problems, so I've got a real interest in keeping my numbers as good as I can. With as few drugs as I can.

I've been off Niacin for a couple of months now, so am very interested to see what my bloodwork looks like this time. Today, the only thing I'm taking for heart/stroke risk is a baby aspirin once a day.

Results from the lab should be in a couple of days.

ADDENDUM - June 20/2012
Just got the results back and I now have even more questions than before. A link to my results is here. Total cholesterol and LDL are quite high, but not alarming (after all the fat I've been eating - no wonder). HDL is still higher than most of the population, but started back on Fish Oil every day to see if it bumps it up a bit more. Hesitant to go back on Niacin.

No comments: