Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Observer Effect and Zeo

Most of you know that I've been using a Zeo Sleep Management system for the last few months to try and get a handle on my sleep - or more precisely, my lack of sleep.

Normally, I can count on a reasonable night if I've had some significant exercise the preceding day - on Saturday we rode a little over 30km and that seemed to be enough to trigger a reasonable night:


The parameter that I've been most concerned about is awakenings/night, but I also know that I feel much better during the day if I've received over an hour of deep sleep - like I did Saturday night.

I also did a relatively strenuous hike on Sunday. And a long bike-ride again yesterday. Sadly, those two nights aren't nearly as good.


Now I'm beginning to think that at least part of the issue is the actual measurement itself. This is known in scientific circles as the Observer Effect. This is where the actual measurement of something effects the thing your trying to measure.

The best example I know of this is trying to determine the exact tire pressure in a tire. The very act of taking the measurement will cause some of the air to leak out of the tire - effecting the number you get.

I'm suspecting that subconsciously (and sometimes consciously) I'm worried about the Zeo score that I'll get the next morning - I hope it's good, but if I look at my watch, and it's 3:30am, and I don't think I've slept, it cannot help but affect the remaining sleep that I get.

No matter how much I tell myself that it doesn't matter, it might.

No comments: