Saturday, December 2, 2023

And Now For The Bonus Round

I had the final "Cycle Three" chemotherapy last night. This was the more tolerable of the sessions - Gemcitabine alone for a total of about an hour. Compared to the previous week (Cisplatin and Gemcitabine for a total of three hours),  this is easy.

When we first started, Dr. Noonan (Oncologist) said that "we'll try to get three cycles done, four if you can tolerate it". I wasn't so sure I was tolerating the Cisplatin very well (some kidney function markers and general malaise) but the bloodwork was better this week.

So once I recover from this cycle (two weeks off), I meet with Dr. Noonan again and we decide on Cycle Four (or not). As I've mentioned previously, the stats are pretty glaring - four is better than three, so do four if you can:

[Results: One hundred and twenty-one patients were identified. Patient characteristics are described in the table below. Eighty-six patients received 4 cycles of GC and thirty-five patients received 3 cycles. Ninety-five patients proceeded to cystectomy: 93 received a radical cystectomy, 1 received a partial cystectomy, and 1 was aborted due to positive lymph nodes. There was a statistically significant difference in OS between those who got 3 or 4 cycles (p=0.03) and PFS (p=0.014). Median OS for those who got 3 cycles and 4 cycles was 52 months and 92 months respectively.]   *Note: OS = Overall Survival

If I do four, I'll be done on Dec 22. Just in time for Christmas. 

No comments: