Friday, February 22, 2013

Square

I've heard of the Square application for smart phones for a while now, but has only recently been available in Canada.

Since Laura and I are now on a major "downsize", and I look forward to having a gigantic garage sale in the spring, I thought it would be really beneficial to accept credit cards.

I had no idea it would be this simple.

I have a cheap Samsung Galaxy Ace smart phone, and it's compatible with the Square service. So all I did was download the app into the phone (free), sign up on the Square website (fast and free), and link my chequing account to the Square service. In total, the whole process took five minutes.

Square will be shipping the device (the dongle in the picture above) in the mail for free.

Square makes its money by charging a flat 2.75% fee on any transaction you do with the device. It accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.

It begs the question - why shouldn't everyone have this capability?

Cashless society, here we come!

No comments: