Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Low Carb Diet - Day 292

I started eating this way on February 11, so that makes today "day 292 on the low carb diet". I thought it was about time to update my progress.

The primary change has been the elimination of almost all non-fruit/vegetable carbohydrates. I'll still eat the odd potato, but won't have that cracker or slice of bread. When I was a vegetarian, almost all my calories came from breads and cereals, and as I've written here before, I now attribute that diet to my cardiovascular problems. Too many carbs cause too many insulin spikes which cause too much damage to the inside of arteries. Too much damage results in heart disease and stroke. I'm two for two on that count.

Today I'd estimate that I eat twice as much fruit and veg as I did as a vegetarian. Since I cannot get the extra calories I need from grains, I have to compensate with produce. I could just eat more meat and fish, but it has an interesting effect of filling you up rather quickly - so you can't consume the calories you need before feeling satiated.

My "dessert" items now are a piece of dark chocolate, a bowl of Greek Yogurt with blueberries, or an apple with some cheese. A far cry from a big slice of pumpkin pie.

So what are the noticeable results?

  1. I have lost, and kept off, about fifteen pounds of weight. I didn't need to lose it, but I did.
  2. My blood profiles, last time I checked, were very good - but the more I learn, the less I care. My previous obsession with cholesterol levels and ratios now seems naive. I don't care what my levels are now, I just know that they're better now then they ever were on drugs. And I don't think the medical community really knows what a "good" level is anyway...
  3. I'm off all the drugs and vitamins. No more statin, no more Co-Q-10, no more niacin. I still take a baby aspirin every day, and top up with a Vitamin D supplement in the winter.

Most importantly, as time goes on I find my attraction to sweets and grains is getting lower and lower. I now find it takes no effort at all to say "no" to dessert. And I don't think twice about not making a sandwich. Mom's not even making me peanut rolls for Christmas - this will be the first time in about fifty years!

Overall, this has now transitioned from being an experiment to being a lifestyle. I don't think it's a diet anymore...

No comments: