Thursday, July 27, 2006

21 day update

Hi Everybody:

Many of you have asked "so ... how DO I set up a spam filter in my email program?". For those that haven't figured that out, here's my update...

It's been three weeks since the surgery, and 17 days out of the hospital. The day-to-day progress is getting harder to notice, but week-to-week there's still significant improvement.

Taste: Most things are starting to taste near-normal. There's a couple of exceptions, though, that are still frustrating:
- Bananas. I love bananas. Imagine platypus grilled on the exhaust manifold of a diesel engine. That's what I'm tasting.
- Red Wine. I love red wine. Imagine Gatorade, Diet Pepsi and Buckley's Mixture in a blender. Yum.
- Vegetables. Fortunately, most veggies taste OK. Is ketchup a vegetable?

Pain: I'm back to taking some pain medication at night. A bottle of tylenol and a fifth of rum before bed helps me sleep thru the night ... and the next day ... and the following night. Overall, I'm feeling a little bit better and have a little more mobility every day. Pain isn't a big deal anymore.

Scars: Our good friend Kelly D told me about Dermatix. It's a silicone scar-removing gel that I'll use every day for the next two months. I doubt the scars will completely disappear, but I may frighten fewer children (or Laura). They're healing nicely, by the way.

Exercise: I've been walking a lot. Up to about 6km/day now, and I think I could do more but it's been SO hot here lately. Once it cools down I'll ratchet it up a bit more. Laura would like me to walk to Regina (she doesn't appreciate my "driving tips").

Driving: I get to drive at 4 weeks post-op. That's 6 days, 9 hours and 20 minutes from now. But who's counting?

Attitude: Things are really going well. This has been a real test of our marriage ... I don't know that Laura and I have ever spent this much time together. We seem to keep busy with the online gambling and the grow-op, so the days aren't too long. Laura is going to go back to work half-days for the next two weeks to cover for vacations. That will give me a chance to paint a self-portrait on the Diack's living room wall.

Sleep: Sleeping well through the night now. See "Pain".

Concentration: I'm able to read more than a couple of pages at a time now. Those Archie comics are still pretty challenging, but The Enquirer keeps me up-to-date with world events (so - what's with Brittany and Bigfoot?).

You: Again, I've been wonderfully surprised by the visits and the cards and the phonecalls and the identity theft. Thank you all for being so concerned and so supportive. I'm up for visitors (PLEASE!!) so give us a call on Laura's cell 604-505-1963.

Love ya*,
Doug

*platonically

No comments: